An attorney committed to helping people plan for tomorrow and guiding families through probate after the loss of a loved one.

What Happens When There Is No Will?

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, I am offering my clients the ability to meet with me in person, via telephone or through videoconferencing. Please call my office to discuss your options.

When a person dies without leaving a will, they are considered to have died intestate. The person’s estate will still be settled and property will still be divided among the heirs. However, some special rules will apply, and having a knowledgeable attorney on your side is a must.

At the Law Offices of Paula R. Moore, I am experienced in Texas intestacy law and can guide you through what may be a complicated process. I can provide the answers to your questions about what happens when there is no will. Contact my law office through my online contact form or by calling 817-332-2300 to schedule a consultation with me.

Guiding You Through The Estate Administration Process

When there is no will, Texas law dictates how the estate is to be administered and divided. When all family members are in agreement, the process can be relatively simple and efficient. However, when disagreement occurs, the process can become lengthy and complicated.

I have more than 15 years of experience helping families resolve disputes that arise during estate administration, and I can guide you and your loved ones through the intestacy process.

Establishing A List Of Proper Heirs

To administer an estate without a will, all heirs must be located and identified. How the property is divided is determined by how close each heir’s family relationship is to the deceased. Typically, surviving spouses and children are first in line to inherit the estate. After the immediate family, other blood relatives are considered based on how distant their relation is to the deceased. It is important to find all potential heirs to ensure that the estate is administered properly under the law.

Sometimes, the court may find it necessary to appoint what is called an “attorney ad litem” to help locate all potential heirs. I can explain the process to you and let you know exactly how things are expected to work out. Attempting to navigate the system on your own may prove to be an expensive and time-consuming affair. You should speak with me to ensure that everything gets done according to the law.

Contact Attorney Paula R. Moore For Legal Help With Estate Administration

If you have questions about how to administer and divide an estate without a will, I can help. Trying to administer the estate by yourself can lead to legal consequences. Contact my Fort Worth law firm by using my online contact form or call 817-332-2300 to schedule an appointment with me. I help clients in Fort Worth and the surrounding communities.