What Happens When There Is No Will?

PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person, via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Experienced Fort Worth Estate Planning Attorney Serving Tarrant County

When a person dies without leaving a will, he or she is considered to have died intestate. The person's estate will still be settled and property will still be divided among the heirs. However, some special rules will apply; having a knowledgeable attorney on your side is a must.

At the Law Offices of Paula R. Moore, our attorney is experienced in Texas intestacy law and can guide you through what may be a complicated process. If you want to know what happens when there is no will, we can provide the answers. Contact our law office online or call 817-332-2300 to schedule a consultation with intestacy lawyer Paula Moore.

We Can Help With Estate Administration

When there is no will, Texas law will determine how the estate is to be administered and divided. When all family members are in agreement, the process can be relatively simple and efficient. However, when disagreement occurs, the process may be lengthy and complicated.

Fort Worth estates attorney Paula R. Moore has more than 15 years of experience helping families resolve difficult legal situations. She will guide you and your loved ones through the intestacy process.

Determining Proper Heirs

To administer an estate without a will, all heirs must be located and identified. How the property is divided is determined by how close an heir is in relation to the deceased. Typically, surviving spouses and children are first in line to inherit the estate, after which the law will look to other blood relatives. It is important to find all potential heirs to ensure that the estate is administered properly under the law.

Sometimes the court may find it necessary to appoint what is called an "attorney ad litem" to help locate all potential heirs. A skilled lawyer can explain the process to you and let you know exactly how things are expected to work out. Attempting to navigate the system on your own may prove to be an expensive and time-consuming affair. You should speak with our qualified attorney to ensure that everything gets done according to the law.

Get Legal Help With Estate Administration

Do you have questions about how to administer and divide an estate without a will? Trying to administer the estate by yourself can lead to legal consequences. At the Law Offices of Paula R. Moore, we can help. Contact our Fort Worth law firm online or call 817-332-2300 to schedule an appointment with an experienced estate administration attorney. We help clients with intestate issues in Fort Worth, Weatherford, and all of Tarrant County and surrounding areas.